
|
D'Blogger ![]()
![]() ![]() D'Nail Gallery ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() D'Credits ![]() Template by : Atirah Hayati Image by : WeHeartit|Cute Secrets Best view : Google Chrome |
British English Vs. Malaysian English
This is from an email send by my dad few days ago. It's kind of old already 'cause I've read it before my dad send me the email. And as always, it cracks me up 'cause it's SO true! It's really funny how we always talk in such short sentences, rather than long sentences. But then, I kind of remembered once, in Sociology. It all reminds me from the Education topics, during... Um... Was it Basil Bernstein? I'm not so sure. I remember from his study that there were two language codes, which are the restricted codes, used by the working class and the elaborated codes, used by the middle and upper class. It is said that restricted codes are short and long sentences are not necessary. Whereas in elaborated codes are much more longer where it is needed for full understanding and all. Well, that's what I remembered. (Wow... I still remember my sociology studies! Hmm... Now why can't I even get a 'C' in my sociology during my 'A' Level... Kesian me T_T) Anyway, I'm not quoting from my sociology, just to say that we're from working class and all. No no no... (But if you feel that I did, I'm sorry... Really no offense!). For me, I like to think that we talk in a short sentences because we're lazy and inda suka meng-waste air liur. Hehe! Who says our English is teruk.? Just see below - Ours is simple,short,concise, straight-to-point, effective etc......... WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS Britons: I'm sorry, Sir, but we don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you. Malaysians: No Stock. Me: Habis RETURNING A CALL Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did anyone page for me a few moments ago? Malaysians: Hello, who page? Me: Sapa page? ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY . Britons: Excuse me, I'd like to get by. Would you please make way? Malaysians: S-kew me Me: Lalu eh WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY Britons: Hey, put your wallet away, this drink is on me. Malaysians:No-need, lah. Me: Na payah. WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door? Malaysians: (pointing the door) can ar? Me: Boleh kah? WHEN ENTERTAINING Britons: Please make yourself right at home. Malaysians: Don't be shy, lah! Me: Bah, agatah. Jangantah kan malu2 WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money. Malaysians: Where got? Me: Bila eh?? WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER Britons: I'd prefer not to do that, if you don't mind. Malaysians: Don't want la... Me: Inda mau eh IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION Britons: Err. Tom, I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the issue. Malaysians: You mad, ah? Me: Setau! WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE. Britons: Excuse me, but could you please ! lower your voice, I'm trying to concentrate over here. Malaysians: Shut up lah! Me: Boleh kali ah diam! WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU. Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you staring at me for some time.. Do I know you? Malaysians: See what, see what? Me: Apa liat2?? WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION. Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment. Malaysians: Die-lah!! Me: Payah nie... WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED Britons: Will someone tell me what has just happened? Malaysians: Wat happen Why like that.... Me: Huh?? Cana boleh?? WHEN SOME ONE DID SOMETHING WRONG Britons: This isn't the way to do it here let me show you, Malaysians: like that also don't know how to do!!!! Me: Atu pun na pandai!! WHEN ONE IS ANGRY Britons: Would you mind not disturbing me Malaysians: Celaka u Me: Baie kali! Labels: Stories n Poems ♥ 0 message from u |